The Platform Committee met at length on Saturday, February 26, 2011 at the Dewey Bartlett Center. The Committee read, discussed, and considered each and every resolution submitted from the precinct level. The Committee appreciates those who submitted such resolutions.
The Committee decided to capture the essence of the many worthy resolutions submitted from the precincts into the following 23 planks, not necessarily listed in order of importance:
The Oklahoma County Republican Party SUPPORTS:
- Oklahoma historical, traditional values;
- Limiting the size and scope of government; including but not limited to; a) removal of unnecessary burdensome regulations that impede economic development, b) the Constitutional requirement that all levels and branches of government shall comply with but not exceed the powers enumerated to them;
- Transparent, efficient and accountable government;
- The sovereignty of the United States as a distinct nation under God; no international agreements shall be made nor foreign laws employed that diminish our sovereignty or conflict with our Constitution;
- A strong national defense;
- Protection of veterans benefits;
- Free market economic principles, such as sound currency and a fiscally responsible government, at all levels, operating under a balanced budget which allow taxpayers to keep more of their money;
- Development and maintenance of a healthy infrastructure to facilitate and promote commerce;
- Integrity in the election process, including the enforcement of the photo ID requirement, adequate safeguards to prevent multiple voting, and the secret ballot, including in the workplace;
- Securing our borders and enforcing our immigration laws;
- Protecting states’ rights and individual rights including privacy and real and personal property, and promoting personal responsibility;
- Simplification and reform of the Oklahoma Tax Code and Internal Revenue Code;
- Responsible tort reform; that provides protection for all parties;
- Judges who uphold the Constitution rather than legislate from the bench, and opposition to calls for a new U.S. Constitutional Convention;
- Right to life from conception until natural death, unless forfeited by capital offense;
- Defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman;
- Freedom of religious expression as guaranteed by the Constitution; and as reflected in the long history of the United States.
- The sole right and responsibility of parents to make choices for their children, including their education and healthcare;
- Increasing public education results and improving efficiency by allowing free-market competition through tax credits and/or vouchers to provide educational choices for every student;
- Elimination of any federal government involvement in Oklahoma public education; and furthermore the abolishment of the Federal Department of Education;
- Removal of unconstitutional infringements upon the right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms;
- English as the official language of Oklahoma and the United States;
The Committee also recommends the following commendations, separate from the actual platform:
We commend Christians of all ages who openly express their faith in the face of increasing opposition and persecution in public places. Furthermore, we applaud their continued adherence to the faith and principles of our Founding Fathers.
We commend the Oklahoma Victory 2010 committee and their success in helping Republican candidates secure all state-wide offices.